Buried Treasure


Buried Treasure

There’s a point in time, when we all realize we are mortal. I don’t mean the obviousness of it, but the realness. For us guys, it might take a little bit longer. Mine, was Tom Petty’s death in October. Tom Petty’s Siriux XM show was called Buried Treasure. For those of you, who aren’t aware, he would share songs from his "own record collection" that had inspired his music.  In reality, I highly doubt it was his true vinyl collection 😄 These were all songs that wouldn’t have made it on the Billboard charts, or featured on most radio stations during their heyday. For those who know me well, you know he was my favorite artist. His music was around for so many of my “firsts” growing up. The best gift Sarah ever bought me was concert tickets to see him live after I finished nursing school. When he passed, I truly mourned. It wasn’t so much the person, but what his music represented in my life. Irrationally perhaps, it felt like his death signified the passing of my youth. To die is truly incomprehensible until we do, but this was the first time I felt my own mortality in every inch of my being. It wasn’t a life changing experience in itself, but a realization. As time has gone on, and the grief of this experience has weaned, as I listen to his music, I feel the journey of the soul, and the “Free Bird” mentality that was his mantra. It’s “Learning to Fly” through the process I’ve embarked on since then, that has really spoken to me. The reality that as we learn to fly or live, there will be times that we crash and burn. It’s in those moments, and the uncertainty of where we’re going that we learn to truly live. I’m not perfect, but I’m learning to embrace the falling and that the crashing is worth just as much as the flying. It’s there that I’ve found my “Buried Treasure”.  Many have requested more family photos.  I've also needed to express the inner ramblings of my mind.  I figured it was worth killing two birds with one stone.  I hope you'll forgive me if the posts seem too personal.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naomi- Dancing and Fair :)

My "Why"